SOUL BUS COMP
Behringer modeled the SOUL Bus Compressor after the famous 1980s SSL G Series Bus Compressor. Some of the best records from the 1980s into the 2000s used this unique sound. In 1996, 83% of albums had been mixed on SSL consoles, so it's safe to assume you've heard this compressor in action.
As a typical VCA compressor, it features all the controls you'd expect:
- Threshold (-40dB to 0dB)
- Make-up gain (-6dB to 12dB)
- Attack time (0.1ms to 30ms)
- Release time (0.1ms to 1.6ms and auto)
- Ratio (1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10)
- Bypass (disabling compression but keeping the circuit emulation)
In contrast to the original, this digital replica also features a sidechain input. The sidechain is particularly useful to let low-end energy pass through without triggering compression.